Tuesday, March 26, 2002

Just in from seeing The Royal Tenenbaums at last. Really enjoyed the film, lots of great scenes, my favourite being the discussion between Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson about the suicide note. I won't say any more in case you have not seen it. Also enjoyed the music, nice to hear Nick Drake and The Velvet Underground amongst others.

Being thinking quite a lot about Margaret Thatcher over the past few days. Not nice I know but it all started when it was announced that her medical people had told her to give up public speaking as she could have another stroke at any time. At last I thought, no more of her bitter ramblings. Then on Saturday evenings Critical List show on Radio 2, Stuart Maconie played both Margaret on the guillotine by Morrissey and Tramp the dirt down by Elvis Costello. Both of which look forward to the day that she dies with vitriolic glee. Now, I don't like to think of myself as a nasty person but I must say that the when the day comes, it will bring many memories of those awful spiteful days, when the only thing that mattered was individual wealth and selfishness. It was also strange to see Ian Duncan Smith trying to claim that the Tory party, could be the party to help the people at risk in our society. We will have to wait to see what happens, when the day does come. I won't shed any tears for her but I may just do so at the thought of the foul, self obsessed, small minded England that she helped to create in those dark days.

No comments: