Friday, May 13, 2005

When Orynthia nipped along to Replay to pick up the new Teenage Fanclub album, she also grabbed the latest album by another band who threatened to move into the mainstream without ever quite managing it - The Go-Betweens.

Back in the late 80's I remember seeing them appear on kids TV (not that I was a kid then, although it would be lovely to think that I was), it was one of those strange moments when you initially have a little burst of excitement because one of "your" bands is on TV. Remember that this was before the all pervasive spread of MTV and wall to wall music video coverage, so any glimpse of favoured band was a treat. I then started to wonder how the band would be feeling, playing these meticulously crafted songs, to group of excited 8 year olds. I'm sure that Robert Forster enjoyed the delicious irony of the moment. Of course, it made no difference in the end, the band never got beyond cult status, much loved as they were.

We had an interesting evening yesterday, one of Orynthia's colleges has started to do some sort of cranial therapy, which involves her picking up on the movements of your cranial fluids and from that getting a feeling of areas of your body which could be in need of attention. I don't fully understand what was going on, but I did have a very relaxing time.

In fact it was a little strange, as I drifted away my mind started to play tricks on me. The passing traffic on the road outside started to sound like rolling waves washing up on a beach. In my mind, I was lying on a beach in Malaysia whilst the waves of the South China sea lapped at the shore, very nice indeed. Orynthia went after me and found herself walking around the streets of Prague! It could be a cheap alternative holiday service for the future!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that GBs lp is oh so very good
Phil Darby

Tom said...

Quite agree Mr D. It's a fine thing.

How are things with you and yours?

Anonymous said...

hi there! you just added me as a contact on flickr, so i came to check out your blog. my name is elena (elenatari on flickr). i also live in bristol.

the company i work for is the PR office for the 2005 Craniosacral Therapy Awareness Week, coming up on 19-25 June. i've never had it done, but i should do...

take care

Tom said...

Hi Elena, you should give the Craniosacral thing a go.Take care.