Friday, June 10, 2005

Pinched this from the Teenage Fanclub site, it's something that Norman Blake wrote about Edwyn Collins of Orange Juice, it's really rather lovely.

You can't hide your love forever!

Just been listening to the forthcoming domino compilation of the orange juice singles and early recordings (hats off to domino for that). It's wonderful! Amazing songs, great, funny, strange lyrics, totally original band, and "Blokes on 45" epitomises their humour. I loved orange juice when I was in my early teens, bought all of their singles and went to see them numerous times. For me, the best group that the city of Glasgow has produced. They were a total inspiration. Without them, there would have been no Teenage Fanclub, Pastels, Bmx Bandits, Vaselines, Belle and Sebastian or Franz Ferdinand (I'm sure that Stephen,Douglas, Eugene, Alex and Stuart won't mind me saying that). I got to thinking about Edwyn and what he's been going through over the last couple of months. I've been following his progress, looking in on his website when ever I can. His partner, Grace is something else, don't you think? (coincidentally, Grace's sister Hazel, was in my class at school. She was very cool too! Whatdya know!) I loved the guy then and he's still an inspiration (as is James Kirk), and am hopeful that he will make a good recovery and be back on stage at some point soon. I met him a couple of times, he is totally charming! I met him at a Joe Meek convention on Holloway road. He loved Joe Meek. He turned me on to a lot of great music. I am looking forward to seeing him on his next tour. So there you have it! Orange Juice forever!

No comments: