Saturday, December 09, 2006

Records of the year?

BEST RECORDINGS OF 2006

1. TOM WAITS – Orphans
2. HOT CHIP – The Warning
3. CAMERA OBSCURA – Let’s Get Out Of This County
4. SUFJAN STEVENS – The Avalanche
5. M. WARD – Post
6. ABSENTEE – Schmotime
7. THE DECEMBERISTS – The Crane Wife
8. BELLE & SEBASTIAN – The Life Pursuit
9. JOAN AS POLICEWOMAN –Real Life
10. MICAH P HINSON – Micah P Hinson And The Opera Circuit

11. Math And Physics Club – Math And Physics Club
12. Yo La Tengo –I’m Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass
13. Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan – Ballad Of The Broken Seas
14. The Essex Green – Cannibal Sea
15. The Flaming Lips – At War With The Mystics
16. The Strokes – First Impressions Of Earth
17. Joanna Newsome – Ys
18. Sparklehorse – Dreamt For Years In The Belly of A Mountain
19. Tilly & The Wall – Bottoms of Barrels
20. The Dears – Gang Of Losers
21. Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I Am……
22. Joe Volk – Derwnt Waters Sound
23. Various – The Kids At The Club: An Indiepop Compilation
24. Jim Noir – Tower Of Love
25. The Divine Comedy – Victory For The Comic Muse
26. Francois & The Atlas Mountains – The People To Forget
27. Sol Seppy – The Bells Of 1 2
28. Thom Yorke – The Eraser
29. Little Name – How To Swim And Live
30. Rose Melberg – Cast Away The Clouds
31. Peter, Bjorn & John – Writer’s Block
32. Amy Millan – Honey From the Tombs
33. Sondre Lerche & The Faces Down Quartet – Duper Sessions
34. Various – Stones Throw; Ten Years
35. Tapes ‘n Tapes – The loon
36. Louis Slipperz – Bareback Instrumentals
37. Lambchop – Damaged
38. Cut Chemist – The Audience’s Listening
39. The Concretes – In Colour
40. Electric President – Electric President

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, another Decemberists fan! I consider us fairly thin on the ground in the UK. But come their February tour... well. Are you going to any of the dates? I'll be at Manchester, London and Southampton. Yeah, a bit obsessive but there we are.

Tom said...

Sadly I won't be making any of the dates. To make matters worse, I am still shocked that I declined to go and see them when they played in a small venue about 10 minutes walk away from our house! At the time (around the time of the Tain ep) I thought that they were "too close to folk music" for my liking. How daft!

Have fun at the gigs and let me know what I'm missing.

Anonymous said...

Top 40! Ace! Ta very much.. :)

miss b said...

Are you seriously telling me you can listen to more than two songs from Thom Yorkes album!

Tom said...

Just about! Harrowdown Hill, The Eraser, And It Rained All Night, Analyse and Black Swan are ok with me.

peter bowler said...

I think I must be the only person in the country who doesn't get Hot Chip, good list otherwise though, I think.......... I haven't heard of half the buggers