Wednesday, February 13, 2002

Old age, now I know I'm 40! Settled down last night to watch Rushmore on DVD. Heard lots of good things about it from Bill and Doreen in New York and Alex in work. Alex was kind enough to lend me the DVD and I was really looking forward to watching it.

We had a glass of wine with our meal, before heading upstairs to watch the film. We have to watch DVD's on our IMAC and altough the screen is small the excitment of new technology is still with us. Settled back with another glass of wine and off we go. Enjoyed the film and then started playing around the additinal features that you get on the DVD. Had a listen to the film in Czech, which was kind of cool for about 40 seconds. Loved those Croatian subtitles!! Then thought I would have a look at the scene access bit. Whilst flicking through the chapters I noticed some stills that I did not remember. On closer inspection it looks as though I missed about 10 minutes of the film. Now this could be down to the wine or a hard day at the office (fat chance!) or just simple old age. The question now is, how often has this happend before. Was I asleep when I was offered that dream job in Tokyo, maybe I was snoozing when Tony Benn overthrew Tony Blair to take control of The Labour Party ( sorry, I can't say "New" Labour without flinching). How many times have I left Ashton Gate thinking City have lost games, when it fact a glorious victory was ours?

Since coming home from Xmas in New York , I have been reading a book called Wonderful Town its a collection of short stories taken from The New Yorker magazine, which have New York as their setting. It features many names that I know and love - Salinger, Woody Allen, Dorothy Parker, John Updike, James Thurber and like. plus many names who's work is new to me. Ashamed to say that its my first contact with John Cheever, Deborah Eisenberg,Daniel Fuchs and Jeffrey Eugenides amongst others. Many fine things although I was a bit disappointed with the William Maxwell tale.

No comments: