Wednesday, June 26, 2002

I've resisted this long but here are my thoughts on the world cup:
Well, as usual the English dream did not come true. How strange though to go out with such a whimper. The normal anguish of the last few minutes of the last game or worse still a penalty shoot out was replaced by the dawning realisation over about the last 40 minutes against Brazil that we weren't able to trouble a Brazil side which played with more tactical nouse and defensive organisation that we gave them credit for. No-one here got angry or upset, for once we all knew that we just weren't good enough.

Although the quarter final games were poor I have to say that I have really enjoyed the competition. The spirited performances of South Korea (or is that Corea now?) Japan, Turkey, Ireland, USA and Senegal at different times were a joy to behold. I must say that I loved Seeing the over pampered poodles of Argentina, France, Portugal and Italy sent packing. I know that Italy had some grounds for complaint but sometimes that happens. You lose games that you should have won, that is what makes football the head spinning crazy, addictive game that it is.

Brazil must beat Germay or do we have one more shock left in this crazy competition!

No comments: