Tuesday, February 24, 2004

I’ve fallen a bit behind with my reading recently, so I only got round to reading The Last Words On Earth by Nicole Krauss today. It was published in the Feb 9th edition of the New Yorker and I found it strangely affecting. Why not give it a go yourself.

As well as trying to catch up on my New Yorker backlog, I’m also reading the excellent Michael Chabon book, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, which is great fun so far (I’m about 280 pages into this 600 plus page monster).

I also read my first ever complete graphic novel, if that’s the right phrase? It was called It’s A Good Life If You Don’t Weaken by Seth. I just noticed that it’s actually described as a picture- novella on the cover. I started to get interested in these sort of things after seeing the film Ghost World a couple of years ago.

I really like Seth’s style of drawing, it’s very simple yet strangely nostalgic. Sort of reminds of an old James Stewart film, although the book is a contemporary one. I guess it feels old because it’s all down in shades of grey/blue/black.


No comments: