Thursday, January 30, 2003

Spent some of the evening sorting out some books for one of my nephews. He is 17 and has just got into the whole “Beat scene”. Managed to turn up 5 Kerouac’s that he hasn’t read. A couple of William Burroughs and an excellent anthology of American poetry from 1945-1960. Also found a couple of biographical books covering that period. Should keep him going for a while. I must admit that although I enjoyed Kerouac when I was younger, I always found Burroughs very hard work. Kept buying his books in the hope that something would click, afraid that it never did. I love the idea of passing books onto other people, but I always hope that they come back to me. I leant him a copy of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and that got returned so the signs are good.

Only 2 more days in work then we are off to France!!


No comments: