Tuesday, April 12, 2005

I must admit that we had a few worries in the run up to Mat & Helens wedding last weekend. They were all linked to the fact that temperatures were plunging and the reception had been arranged in a marquee, it sounded like a recipe for a very chilly evening.

Well we needn't have worried. The weather turned out to be much better than anticipated and the marquee was very pleasantly heated by Helen's very thoughtful parents.

After a slightly delayed Saturday morning departure, we arrived in the village of Pandy , where our accommodation for the evening had been booked. We just had time to change into our glad rags and have a brief look around the splendid old house which we had been booked into. Peacocks and chickens strutted around the grounds, as we nibbled on pasties and sausage rolls (nothing worse than being the owner of a rumbling tummy in packed church). The church was a classic British village one, packed to the rafters with smiling faces. The mood was further enhanced by the vicar, who possessed a marvellously deadpan sense of humour. Whilst the all important paperwork was signed we were entertained by one of Helen's friends who sang wonderful versions of "Fly me to the moon" and "My baby just cares for me" accompanied by a surprisingly jazzy organist.

After a brief pause for pictures, we all took the short stroll to Helen's parents house for the reception, which as I mentioned before was taking place in a huge marquee. The canapes and champagne flowed nicely, then the speeches began. We had to nip off during the these to collect part two of the DJ double act. Part one - Ian Green had made the journey with us, the other half of the act, local legend DJ Derek preferred to indulge his passion for coach and bus travel. Anyway the pair of them did a great set, which resulted in lots and lots dancing.

The next morning I took DJ Derek off to the nearest coach stop, before the rest of made the short journey to Hay-on-Wye, to spend many happy hours wandering around the amazing bookshops of that unique town. Talking of books, I finally managed to get to the end of Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Once I got past the dreadful middle section I enjoyed it, the problem was mainly down to me, as lost my reading rhythm at the midway point. Since then I've managed to wizz through "In the Miso soup" by Ryu Murakami. Short and beautifully written, although it does contain one section of eye popping brutality, I really enjoyed this dark and unsettling short novel.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

it sounds like a lovely wedding, and you and orynthia look so cool in that photo!

i'm glad you enjoyed in the miso soup -- i think i'll definitely get it now. :-) i really loved his book coin locker babies -- if you haven't read it, I'd recommend it -- it's really quite strange, but very cool ..

Tom said...

It was great fun, If you find yourself at a loose end the fantastic DJ Derek often plays at the Notting Hill Arts club http://www.ents24.com/web/event/946174/Sweet_Memory_Sounds.html well worth a trip to the other side of town.

Coin Locker Babies is on my must read list. Thanks for the tip. Following your lead, I'll do my book section soon.