Thursday, February 06, 2003

Lots going on tomorrow, Orynthia’s dad is having a scan to try to get to the bottom of his ongoing leg problems. So, hopefully, sometime next week we should have a better idea of what the future holds. Fingers crossed on that one.
On my side of the family, I am taking my mum over to Pontypridd in South Wales, to see her sister.
It’s going to be quite interesting as I have not been to Pontypridd for many, many years. When I was a child we used to drive over to see mums family every other week, and I must admit that I hated it. In those days Pontypridd was still a coal mining town (my grandfather had been a miner), and the dirt and dust from the coal seamed to cover the town. Everything was either grey or black, and even managed to feel dirty. To make matters worse, I have convinced myself that it was always raining. I know that can’t be true, but it just felt like the most miserable and desolate place. Of course Thatcher closed the mines, and I’ve been told that the dark brooding slag heaps that overlooked the town, are now all green and the feel of the place is completely different. It will be good to catch up with my Aunty Mair. It’s years since I’ve seen her. My side of the family are just useless when it comes to keeping in touch. It’s a complete contrast with Orynthia’s family, where I feel closer to relatives from Australia, than I do with members of my own who only live 50 miles away. In fact some of them live in the same town, yet we never see each other. Can’t really work out why our family has developed in that way.



No comments: